Forgive me if you find any of the following photos, well...embarrassing but I really could not help reminiscing over the past 17 years. It was 1992, July and really hot, hotter than normal. I can remember sitting in our little apartment with my feet in buckets of very cold water just to reduce the swelling in my legs. You see I no longer had ankles or calves for that matter ~ we just called them cankles! Your dad and I would walk everyday just to 'get things moving' but you took your very sweet time (your were already so unique even then). We thought that maybe you'd be a 4th of July baby with a due date on the 3rd, but you had your sights set on the 8th, almost the 9th though as you waited until 11:28pm to show your beautiful face. What a beautiful baby you were, so alert and full of life. At 9lbs, 3 ounces and 24 inches long, it's no wonder it took so long for your arrival as I am not that big of a gal you know! :0) Nonetheless, it was one of the happiest days of our lives.
And that happiness spans the whole 17 years too. Not that we haven't had our challenges or even rough spots, you are truly one incredible young man. I am so inspired by your devotion to wanting to put God first and walk the path and live the journey He has for you. Your determination on the wrestling mat shows itself in many areas of your life ~ teaching yourself to play the guitar for one! I love to hear you sit and play song after song of worship to our great God!!! I am also so proud of your willingness to stick it out in the workplace even when you'd rather scream ~ remember just where your reward is. I feel incredibly blessed to have such an amazing relationship with you ~ one where we can talk and share our hearts openly and honestly.
As you can see from the pictures below, you have grown in maturity ~ and not just the physical kind either. I've seen such maturity in your emotional, mental and spiritual sides too. Though the photos don't depict one for each year, I tried to show a compilation of how cute and silly you were to how strong, handsome and studly you've become (wink, wink). I wish I had a photo of you today as I would post that you got a present but not the kind you hoped for of a beesting right next to your eye and had your eye/face swell up. Oh well, huh?!?
And that happiness spans the whole 17 years too. Not that we haven't had our challenges or even rough spots, you are truly one incredible young man. I am so inspired by your devotion to wanting to put God first and walk the path and live the journey He has for you. Your determination on the wrestling mat shows itself in many areas of your life ~ teaching yourself to play the guitar for one! I love to hear you sit and play song after song of worship to our great God!!! I am also so proud of your willingness to stick it out in the workplace even when you'd rather scream ~ remember just where your reward is. I feel incredibly blessed to have such an amazing relationship with you ~ one where we can talk and share our hearts openly and honestly.
As you can see from the pictures below, you have grown in maturity ~ and not just the physical kind either. I've seen such maturity in your emotional, mental and spiritual sides too. Though the photos don't depict one for each year, I tried to show a compilation of how cute and silly you were to how strong, handsome and studly you've become (wink, wink). I wish I had a photo of you today as I would post that you got a present but not the kind you hoped for of a beesting right next to your eye and had your eye/face swell up. Oh well, huh?!?
My dear sweet son, I want to give you something to ponder:
"Has your relationship with God actually changed the way you live? Do you see evidence of God's kingdom in your life? Or are you choking it out slowly by spending too much time, energy, money or thought on the "THINGS" of this world? Are you satisfied being 'godly enough' to get yourself to heaven, or to look good in comparison to others? Or can you say with Paul that you 'want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death? (Phil 3:10)?" (Crazy Love by Francis Chan)
I would challenge you my son to live your life as authentically as Jesus did. To live to the fullest, loving God first, and your neighbor as yourself for only by living this way will you truly 'know' the love that Jesus Christ has annointed you with. I love you with all my heart!
Mom
Mom

Dalton ~ age 7 months

~ age 20 months

Dalton with his new baby brother Noah (who by the way beat PD's weight at 10 lbs.)

~ age 5 yrs, 1st day of Kindergarten

~ age 7 yrs, first day of 2nd grade
~ sitting at Daddy's desk looking very studious
~ being silly, because he can

~with baby brother on Noah's birthday

~bowling with Grandma
~ I actually can't remember if this was the black eye he got when he was camping with his friend and he got hit with a stick or the time he kneed himself in wrestling practice??
~ always loved to chew bubble gum while playing baseball~at the beginning of his guitar 'career'

~well I couldn't find a picture of PD in his wrestling singlet so I had to settle for this football one instead. Probably a bit more tougher looking.

The 3 amigo's looking like they are ready for mischief on his 15th birthday
Sweet 16 - though not looking so sweet in this picture huh?!?
still playing...
May 2009
4 comments:
Ahh thanks for sharing....
Happy Birthday Dalton!!!
Oh wow! That's really all I can say. Sounds like you've got an amazing son and he has an amazing mom.
Happy Birthday!
Happy Birthday Dalton. Good job mom (dad, too).
Happy belated birthday wishes -- BTW loved the Francis Chan reference. Good, though provoking book!
Post a Comment