Saturday, October 24, 2009

Can bad news be Good???

Through my years of blogging, I have 'on purpose' limited my posting to my immediate family of 6, with an occasional post here and there including others whose story had a direct impact on my life or the life of my family.

Today's post is one of those!

Yesterday I received the 'awaited' news that my dad has been diagnosed with Diffuse large B-cell Lymphoma. Of course my first reaction was "what exactly is diffuse large b-cell lymphoma anyways?" The quick and easy version, it is a non-Hodgkin lymphoma, a blood cancer of the white blood cells that lives in the lymphatic system. It is an aggressive, fast growing cancer, that responds well to treatment. Since they haven't seen the oncologist yet, we don't know what the next step is, however from what we've read it will more than likely include chemo and possibly radiation! They were told that the tumor itself is too large to remove.

So...my question, can bad news be good???

I am inclined to actually say yes! Crazy huh?!? You see my dad wasn't sick, didn't have pain, there were no symptoms. In fact, they weren't even looking for it! He went in for an MRI to see if he had any broken bones in his leg/bottom/knee from a previous fall he'd had last winter. They found the tumor and alerted him to it before they even reported on the possible injury. And from there a cat scan, then biopsy, then diagnosis. Considering the fact that this type of cancer is so fast growing, it actually was a blessing that they found it when they did. Had he not had the MRI, or even the pain and discomfort in his leg/knee, they wouldn't have found it now and the danger that could have been...well let's just not even go there. Thankfully, they found it and thankfully, they will treat it.

So...as in usual fashion when I have {comical} conversations with my dad, I told him yesterday:
"BAD news Dad, is that you have cancer"
"GOOD news is that you are going to lose all your hair - or rather what you have left of it".
He replied, "Gosh, I guess I shouldn't have gotten my hair cut last week. To think I now wasted that money..."
Of which I replied, "Who knows maybe he'll give you a refund?

I Love you Dad and know that we are going to walk through this with you.

We are praying for:
a full recovery
his health during his treatment and recovery
against additional infections
his body as it succumbs to the treatments and all the side effects
his heart during this process ~ that he will not LOSE heart but rather be present in all that God is saying to him in and through this time
my mom's heart too ~ that she will continue to be strong in her faith that God is in FULL control ~ remembering 'all things work together for good to those who are called according to HIS purpose!'
our family!

6 comments:

Brian and Melinda said...

So sorry to hear that. Your family is in our prayers.
Brian

T n' W said...

Daddy's .....there's just nothing like em'. I'm so sorry to hear this, and totally understand the good news portion of your post. My daddy's so hard headed, getting him to a doc is like pulling teeth!
I will keep you guys in my prayers.

Tammie said...

Sittin here with ya sister= praying for you and the family!!!

Love ya Ruth!

Truly Blessed said...

Oh, life can throw curveballs at us, can't it?

It sounds as though your Dad has a wonderful sense of humor (that is SO important to the healing process!) and the fact that this has been caught early is such a good sign.

Praying for your family...

April said...

My FIL is still with us today and he had this very same cancer about 12 years ago and then at year 10 he came out of remission. The treatment 10 years later was SO much better than the first time and he goes in once a year now for a dose of something that keeps the cancer away. I will be praying for him and I'm sure my FIL would be more than willing to share his story with him if he wants. Love to you and your family. ~April

Alyson and Ford said...

So hoping you have some good news.... all you have been through! Yes, here is good news with every "test" we are given. Prayer said for your family.
Take care.

Alyzabeth's Mommy

Post a Comment