Monday, December 28, 2009

I choose Nostalgia

So what is the big "Hoo-Hah" about Facebook anyways???

Don't get me wrong, I completely understand that many people have re-connected with long lost friends, coworkers, even relatives through this simple little online directory of contacts. Friendships have been re-established, relationships have been built.

Recently a fellow blog friend had left a comment on another blog stating that the "comments" on peoples blogs have declined quite severely in the past year and I had to agree with her. Why last year alone, the month of December 2008, I received a total of 80 comments throughout the month. Now, mind you I posted a few more posts as I wasn't dealing with a remodel, re-move-in and the flu/crud, but my total for December 2009 so far...a whopping 5 comments, can you believe it!

I truly believe that even though many people may (or even may not) be busier this year than last, I believe the 'blog comment decline dilemma' is attributed to the simplicity of FB! People can post quick little updates, photos, comments in less time than it takes to upload a post onto blogger. I do admit that many times the "time commitment" involved in posting a post to blogger has kept me from posting at all as I clearly don't have the time most days. THOUGH...I do appreciate so much the 'diary-like' posts that I am allowed as a sort of log book for me, my kids, my family, etc. Like a photo album or scrapbook, one can go back through the pages and reminisce about what their "life" was like back then. Reading the journal-type entries gives me a window into even the emotion that was felt at that time - a sort of Nostalgia really. Not so with FB. It's a here and now.

I currently am not a FB member. Alright, already...I can hear all of you (not sure there really is an "all of you", rather the one of you who is reading this) saying how can I possibly 'dis' something that I am not a part of. All of the men in my house are FB members. I log onto my hubby's from time to time to check on the many friends he's made (many of them are mine too). I've even been known to chat with members who I have no other source of communicating with other than Facebook. Rather than looking at this post as a 'dis' on FB itself, I am simply re-establishing my commitment and love for blogging. Face it, I'm old school. I may one day decide to take the plunge, who knows.

So, as I LOVE to read each and every comment I receive (they are truly like that one present you find under the Christmas tree buried way in the back, that one that ALMOST was forgotten until you see the glimmer/shimmer of the wrapping paper out of the corner of your eye and your heart skips a beat at the thought of yet one more present!!!) it doesn't matter if I never get another comment again because I blog for ME!!! And what would a blog post be without pictures, right??

Cheese

Nothing like getting a clear shot up the nose?!?

There must be a treasure in here somewhere!

4 comments:

Tammie said...

1 Corinthians 2:9 But as it is written: "Eye has not seen, nor ear heard, nor have entered into the heart of man the things which God has prepared for those who love Him."

I love reading your blog- i love the journal like enteries and the pictures. I think blogs are great but I do LOVE FB to.

Miss you - Julia asked about you the other day.

Let me know if Princess Babycakes needs anymore Disney stuff (ya know that's who I work for so I get discounts)

Keep Posting - how are the boys doing-Homeschooling? Brians Job?

HOW on Earth is your DAD doing?

BIg HUgs to you
Tammie

Truly Blessed said...

I still love blogging best of all, and crave the computer space that will allow me to upload all of my pictures onto my own little computer and continue blogging (I got a new hard drive for Christmas from my husband, but he has yet to install it).

But, having said that, I do have a FB account and enjoy it. It will never replace blogging in my life though - and I love to go back and read old posts (I am amazed at how many things I forget we did!) and treasure each and every comment I get -- not many, especially in the last few months...

Still, I'm here, and I read and I comment when I can.

Hope you had a wonderful Christmas (I'm off to read your C-day post) and will have a fantastic New Years!

firegirl said...

Hello

I agree about comments being a little gift. I love getting comments but I don't get a lot. I know a lot of people read my blog but don't post comments. I wanted to say hello and I hope you had a great Christmas!. Grace has those same PJ's (pandas) I will take a picture of her in them and post it. I am on FB but I only have a few friends due to the fact that I don't have time to follow all the blogs and FB too. I am not into FB at all and only go on to check out what a few of my friends are doing. I don't post on it I just read a little.

I hope you have a Great New Year!

Michelle

k1 said...

Ruth, I too prefer the intimacy and indepthness of blogging over FB. I have met a lot of neat people, you included, through blogging. On FB, I basically have conected or reconnected with people I already know.

I agree with you about comments, too. I believe that our blogs are designed to share our lives in an interactive way. If we didn't want to be in conversation with our readers, we wouldn't have the comment option.

So glad you are back in your house. Hope all the upgrades are being enjoyed!

Post a Comment